Wednesday, April 27, 2011

UWW Alumni

I had the privilege recently of watching videos on YouTube of UW-Whitewater Public Relations Alumni. They have all gotten involved in careers in Public Relations all over the country and are very successful people thanks to their education and experiences at Whitewater. Four of the videos that I found most interesting were:

Jenny Krajeck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJ9ppK3bFM of Forward Janesville in Janesville, Wisconsin. She spoke about a recent project they were working on with Governor Scott Walker and the different projects they do. Most of their work is done locally in the Janesville community and being that I am a very community oriented person so I really appreciate that. She is so passionate about her job and you can see that in this video.

Heidi Murphy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtFZtmPODg of Salmon Borre Group out of Lake Bluff, Ill. She is an account executive and being that this is one of my career goals I really enjoyed listening to her speak about her job on a daily basis. She is very positive and very focused on her job. She is a very successful woman and the tactics she took away from UW-Whitewater are tactics that she uses on a daily basis.

Lynnette Hulgan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax1agT4OOHc owner of Essential Details, LLC. She has so much spunk and life to her and I really enjoy her personality. Her career deals with more of the event planning side of PR and although that isn't really something that interests me I really enjoyed watching her and listening to her speak. She has a great passion for her business and puts a lot of effort in. She is constantly working on press releases, creating websites, and much more. She uses multiple tactics on a daily basis to make her business run smoothly.

Jenna Darling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yh2JwEuvn8 of MLG Commercial. She is a recent graduate of UW-Whitewater as of 2010. She obviously just got out into the workforce so it was great to hear her tips on internships and finding and applying for jobs. It's also great to know that she uses the tactics she has learned at Whitewater on a daily basis to write press releases, update social media pages, update websites, etc.

All of the videos I watched had the same message; get involved in PRSSA, apply for internships, and really learn the tactics that you are taught during classes. They will all be handy in the future. If you have a few minutes and you are looking for a little PR inspiration check out one of more of these videos.

See you next time! :)

4 comments:

  1. I know I keep saying this, but exactly! All of the alumni gave the same advice - take the internship paid or unpaid! It was great to hear that from people who have gone through and experienced what we're experiencing now! I absolutely LOVED Lynette's spunk! It was what made me watch the video. Every word she said she had an extreme amount of passion for what she does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely see where you are coming from, great advice, some was the same over and over though. Note your spelling mistake on Jennie's name, its with an "ie" on the youtube video and you spelled it with a "y". Great blog otherwise, the intro and concluding paragraphs were a nice touch, went above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that you were able to take away a lot of valuable information from this assignment. I also noticed that it seemed one of the messages all of the alum stressed the most was getting experience and getting involved. It was really encouraging to see so many former Whitewater students making it happen in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Lynnette’s video; she had a lot of great advice about event planning. She had lots to say how event planning is all PR. I agree that she has a lot of passion and puts a lot of effort in to her job. I would really enjoy having her job!

    ReplyDelete