Thursday, March 10, 2011

Social Media Trends in PR

Finding a career via social media is becoming more of a trend every day. I have discovered through my own personal research how simple it really is. I have found internships to apply for and I have classmates who have also applied for positions they found on Twitter and received them.

I recently began following @Edelman_Careers (http://twitter.com/#!/Edelman_Careers) on Twitter and I check their page daily to view different opportunities available through their agency. Most of their internships available as of right now are for college graduates looking to obtain an internship after graduation to get them started, but I am not giving up hope that something will pop up for me. I think it would be awesome to work at one of their agencies.

Another Twitter account that I am checking daily for internship opportunities is the minor league baseball team @RapidsRafters (http://twitter.com/#!/RapidsRafters).  They have many internship opportunities through out the summer and hopefully one will open up for me. I would like to stay close to home for another summer and this would be a great way for me to get experience in the field and still be able to spend time with my family before my career really takes off.

Last, but not least a newsletter that I have been receiving in my e-mail and has been a great help is Big Shoes Network (bsn@bigshoesnetwork.com). I have found some amazing opportunities via these newsletters and I am currently in the process of applying for an internship I found in one of their weekly newsletters.

Trends in social media are all over and they are not hard to find. If I open up my e-mail on any given day I will have at least one e-letter from a professional. Twitter has also become a huge trend whom many people are beginning to use to obtain jobs, internships, and to network with professionals all over the world. If you haven’t begun using social media to its full potential; get started! It’s a blast and the opportunities are endless.

Hook yourself up with a Twitter account and follow me! @cookam30

Have a beautiful day :)

5 comments:

  1. I love Big Shoes Network! They have so many links to information that students looking for internships can use! I agree that social media is a trend in PR today. I think that social media is very easy to find and convenient! I think social media is great because there is no limit with what you can find with it and there are many ways you can use it to succeed in the career you wish to pursue!
    ** Hope you have a beautiful day too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,

    I completely agree. E-newsletters and Twitter are great social media tools. They are prominent tools for us college students, and if you use them right they can really help get you a job or internship.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points about finding people on twitter, specially organizations. It's the way to find internships for sure, that's how I found mine!! And newsletters are super informative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,
    I love Big Shoes Network! Every day they’re updating their site with new internship opportunities. I have a list in the back of my planner with all the internships that I have applied for and 75 percent of those are internships that I found off of Big Shoes Network! So helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Twitter is a great way to find internships. I didn’t know that Rapids Rafters were on Twitter. That would be a really fun internship to have, sports PR would a great experience. Also it would be nice to be close to home and by your family. I agree that Big Shoes Network is a really helpful tool in getting internships.

    ReplyDelete